I, Bookworm

Ah, Books. How much I love them. I am such a bookworm that the ladies in my local Coles store know me, and routinely set books aside for me that they think I will enjoy.

So I was all too eager to head to Chapters with one of my favourite friends. I swear, I went in with the sole intention to LOOK.

Funny how looking inevitably ends with a pile of books in my arms and having to decide what books my mother will be eager to pay for, and what books she will scorn me for purchasing.

I do have one strange quirk: I hate hardcover books. Not because of the price, my mother taught me at a young age that there is no value on reading. I just don't enjoy the weight. I like something small that I can toss into my purse and have with me to pick up when I have a spare minute or two.

Because I am an avid reader, I thought I would share a list of nine books that I feel everyone should read. And I mean everyone. I even have suggested books meant for teenage girls to my boyfriend who likes to read fantasy books. And not just because I don't want a ginormous shelf of books with dragons and fairies on it in my house – but I don't.

Here goes (I've linked to the pages on Chapters, a Canadian site... so for my non-Canadian readers, I apologize):

1984. George Orwell's classic dystopian story.

Angus, Thongs, and Full Frontal Snogging. Louise Rennison introduces us to Georgia Nicholson, a character who introduced to me British humour. There are 10 books in total (so far) and they are found in the teen fiction section of the store, but I love them none the less.

Night. A first-hand experience of an Auschwitz. I bawled my eyes out reading this book, but I also couldn't put it down. I read it all in a 4 hour span.

Confessions of a Shopaholic. Sometimes I see myself mirrored in Becky Bloomwood, which is terrifying. There are 4 books in this series.

The Five People You Meet In Heaven. I actually sat and thought for a few minutes before I decided which of Mitch Albom's books I would recommend. I've read and loved every single one so far. This is my favourite one though.

The Memory Keeper's Daughter. This is one of the books that I have grabbed from my mom's bookshelf in an effort to find a book when I had run out of new reads and money to fund buying more. I wasn't disappointed. Read it in one overnight shift at the old convenience store job I had.

Plain Truth. While this wasn't the first book by Jodi Picoult that I had read, it was definitely the first one that I flew through. I was in awe. She always manages to weave a story that pulls me in and leaves me guessing until the last pages.

Devil's Waltz. I love forensic psychology and the Alex Delaware series of books is probably to blame for this. This isn't the first in the series, but it is the first one which I read.

The Man Who Loved Clowns. This book is intended for children, but it is still a book that I could pick up today and read from cover to cover. I feel that although it is a book for children, it tells a story that we should all read.

Really, I shared more than 9 due to all the series I recommended, but I'm sure you will deal with that.

I'm off to read my new books: Handmaid's Tale, Wuthering Heights, Anna Karenina, and Brave New World.

HAPPY READING!

4 comments:

Cortney said...

Hello fellow book worm! I found you through Jaime at Day Dream Believer today. I lik ethe list, I've read 3 of them so far. I just picked up 'Day' and 'Dawn' which are the 2nd and 3rd books that follow 'Night' which I loved. I feel bad saying that I loved it since the content is so emotional and heavy, but I did, I loved it and have read it several times.

Glad to meet another book worm! I'm going to go explore your blog some more.

Anna said...

I too am an avid reader. I have not read any of the books on your list, except for 1984... and I hated it. Almost as much as Catcher in the Rye. I'm perfectly happy reading ridiculously huge Environmental Impact Statements, as long as they're not "assigned reading," but for some reason I get mental blocks just thinking about the assigned books from high school English.

jessicajamey said...

Thanks for joining me Anna and Cortney! Keep reading, I'm going to try to post more often.

Unknown said...

As the aforementioned fairy and dragon loving boyfriend I have some non fantasy books to offer to those fellow book lovers.
Savage Messiah - This is about Rock Theriault who is one of Canadas few cult leaders, deeply disturbing
Enders Game - I know it's sci-fi but any book about uber intelligent 6 year olds waging war is good by me
The Fountainhead - One of the best books ever written
and finally for some light and fluffy Shakespeare type reading I suggest Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead - Very funny side story to Hamlet characters.
Well, I've hijacked the girlfriends blog enough. Happy reading.

Post a Comment