Controversy; it is What the Media Survives Upon

Okay so I realise it has been forever since I posted. I know that I suck at this. I have a semi-excuse though. School started and my coworker went to a conference and I had to go to school full time and work full time for the last 2 weeks. I am aware that it isn't a great excuse, but it is the one I've got. At least it is the truth.

On the topic of school: I have settled into my routine for the semester and am feeling great. We have a new mindset of a few of my profs which is that laptops should not be used in class. At first I scoffed at the idea, but after 2 weeks of taking notes laptop free, I have adopted this rule into my other classrooms as well. Low and behold, my notetaking is much more efficient and I do not get lured into the trappings of facebook and reading blogs during class. Who would have thought?

With that little bit of housekeeping taken care of, I'm going to move onto a topic that is sure to raise some eyebrows. Let me start it by making the disclaimer that these are my opinions, and I really do not mean to offend, I'm really just trying to find some outlet to vent. By all means if you have any concerns, shoot me an email at fitsofgenius@live.com

Don't Ask, Don't Tell

It is a controversy that everyone from top American politicos to Lady Gaga herself are talking about. I thought that since it is receiving so much media attention I should make myself an educated opinion on the topic. Mainly because if it comes up in a social setting, I want to A.) not look misinformed B.) not just sprout off the shit thrown at me by the media and C.) look smarter than my friends. Sadly, the latter is the main reason.

So here is my opinion:

Being gay does not affect your ability to protect your country's beliefs, rights, freedoms, etc. It simply means that you are attracted to, fall in love with, engage in intercourse with, and/or have relations with a member of the same sex. It baffles me that a policy based on such fear and misunderstanding could have carried on for such a long time. I really just don't get it.

Usually when there is an issue of debate, I can at least see where the side opposing me is coming from and respect their opinion. But in this case, I really just cannot see it or understand it. From all that I am discovering, the arguments for DADT are largely fear-based/hate-based.

I believe that if a person (male, female, gay, straight, bisexual, polyamourous, monogamous, black, white, brown, etc.) is willing to put their life on the line for the sake of their nation, they should be accepted. I see a lot of the people who support DADT who sit at home on their safe, fat asses instead of doing what these brave souls are willing to do. As long as they meet the physical standards required of a soldier, they should be allowed to serve. The three words "I am gay" should have no effect.

A friend posted this on his facebook yesterday, and I couldn't believe how much it said exactly what I was thinking:

In death, we are all the same. If a soldier dies for their country, nothing else should really be discussed. This person is a hero, plain and simple. It reminds me of a proverb we learned in a class once "At the end of the game, the king and the pawn go back into the same box." In death, we are all equal. And for a soldier willing to go to battle, death is a very real possibility.

The military should adopt a simply Don't Ask policy. No one should be forced to reveal their sexuality to anyone, but if they do choose to do so, they should be embraced and welcomed... not discharged from duty. It is a human rights issue at heart for me. No matter what your sexuality is, you should have the same right as any other human. Plain and simple.

0 comments:

Post a Comment